Green's Hill-Amy Lane's Home - News

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Oh Happy Day!

Taken by Steve Parris, of Seattle 
So, when I was little, my dad was a hippie-- I've gone on about Brother Bus elsewhere, but one of the details I neglected there was that strung between the front and back of the car, right where a chauffeur would have a window on a limo, were two giant peace flags.

My dad once got pulled over by men in black suits because they did NOT like those peace flags.

I suppose if there's anything a five year old needs in education about symbols, it's having a scary man ask her dad if he was ready to go to jail for defacing the American flag.  Of course, it was just a scare tactic-- especially when they realized that their young hippie had a little girl and a dog in the back of the bus, but it did make it's point.

Freedom to believe in the symbol of your choosing is so important.

So when a reader sent me this picture, taken from last year's Seattle Pride, I was enchanted.  Now the reader has sent me some ASTOUNDING photos of Seattle before this-- I love his eye and his take on the world.

But given the Supreme Court's ruling on Friday-- and how very much I like this symbol-- I asked if I could show this one.

Oh please, world-- let us know love, and some joy, and, in this matter of simple human dignity, a little peace.

1 comment:

Donna Lee said...

A little peace would be wonderful. I read a collum in the NYTimes over the weekend. In it, a woman moaned that now that gay marriage is legal, more of the "specialness" of being gay was eroded.

I wanted to shout, BUT YOU WANTED TO BE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE AND HAVE LIVES LIKE EVERYONE ELSE AND NOW YOU HAVE A CHANCE.

I am afraid I don't understand....